Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is self storage expensive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is self storage expensive?

I retired from my job last month. I was planning to downsize to a retirement house next month. I have decided to vacate my current house by next week. I hope it’s better to shift to a retirement home. Because of my busy job schedules and work, I was never bothered about the loneliness I will have to face after the retirement. Now I am concerned about myself. As I get older, I don’t think I will able to survive anymore without assistance. I think it’s better to shift to a retirement home at the earliest. I can’t live alone anymore. There are lots of elderly people who are seeking care under the old age home. I won’t be alone if I spend the rest of my life there. I can live the rest of my life peacefully. Before I shift to a retirement, I need to shift some of the excess households into a self storage in Toronto. I don’t have any idea about the cost of the storage units required to rent. Do you think storage units are expensive?

There are a number of issues to consider when using self storage. Firstly, you have to remember you are effectively renting a room or a space, therefore you need to arrange transportation to that facility and there is no protection for your furniture in particular when you place your belongings into storage. Insurance is also limited and doesn't cover all risks such as marks, scratches and loss / theft. There is an alternative and if you speak with a professional moving company they can arrange to bring the storage unit to your door, fill it for you, protect all belongings with blanket / safety coverings and insure it fully for all risks. The advantage is that it is only handled the once in and the once out. The only disadvantage is that you cannot easily access your belongings at short notice and without supervision or help. What you need to be careful of with self storage is that they often have a price to entice you in and then they raise it substantially after a 3 month period so be very careful, moving companies tend only to raise your price annually with inflation. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Guys

I'm relocating due to my promotional transfer. I'm serving a notice period now and I'm having a lot of pending works at office. I reach home very late after my work. I won't be getting any time to do the packing and sorting myself. I'm having a lot of antique and fragile items to pack. I need some professional packers and movers who will give value protection to the goods transported. One of my friends suggested going for across Canada movers.
      She had suggested me that the consultant will come to my house at a convenient time and will make a list to organize the items.They will assure value protection also while boxing and unloading.

I would like to get more ideas from those who have relocated in a busy schedule

Cheers
      Mayflower Canada is your choice for safe, reliable and quality moving service. Moving within Canada, the US or Overseas? Call now at 1-866-557-5150
      Last edited by hazelp; 18-05-2018, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X