Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assistance available

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance available

Good afternoon

First of all thank you to Reallymoving for an innovative and important facility and secondly, I hope I am happy to assist anyone with free, independent information on removals and storage, just ask me Chris, best wishes to all

Hi Chris. I wish you could help me with some tips about moving. We are moving house in 13 days and I am working for 6 of those days. I am knee deep in boxes and black bin liners of things for the tip/charity shop, and not sure I will be done in time without a nervous breakdown.

Any advice for getting things done and not losing the plot would be most gratefully received!
    Neneth Gerona
    Easy Moves Moving and Storage Company
    2080 Highway 33 Suite A, Pelham 35124
    (205) 434-1615
    www.easymovesbham.com

Comment

Hi Nethgerona, we've got a few articles that might be helpful - our guide to a stress free move (https://www.reallymoving.com/removal...ress-free-move) and our ultimate packing guide if you're feeling like things are out of control. Don't forget that if you need a removals team to disassemble your furniture, you'll need to tell them in advance and there is likely to be an extra charge.

Chris is a well of information about the moving industry so I'm sure he'll have some great tips too!
      Take a look at our guide if you're wondering how to pack when you move house. Visit reallymoving.com for more removals advice and information.

Comment

I'll take a look at it. Thank you very much for your help.
        Neneth Gerona
        Easy Moves Moving and Storage Company
        2080 Highway 33 Suite A, Pelham 35124
        (205) 434-1615
        www.easymovesbham.com

Comment

Good morning all

Many apologies for not being more responsive, I am now setting an activity reminder to ensure I check this forum daily to support people in need of help. If you need free advice you can always email or call me 0161 790 6666 or [email protected]. In short there are a number of ways to avoid removals stress and I have done a quick checklist for those who choose to pack themselves and those who are looking for a professional mover:

1. When packing yourself do a little each day - a little check list or to do list helps, but if you are packing yourself here is a really great thought - let's assume you have 100 boxes to pack and you know you are going to be moving within 20 days and there are two of you. Agree to pack 3 boxes each a day (it will take 5 - 10 minutes per box roughly so 30 -40 minutes max). In short - 40 minutes maximum each day you will have packed 6 boxes between the two of you over 20 days that is 120 boxes - job done!! If you are on your own, rope in some friends and treat them to a bite to eat, a glass of wine or a beer (not too much of course) or if you have children - they are always willing to help or protect their "special items" so get them to work!! Remember - use really good quality boxes, if you are packing yourself you will not be insured for the boxes you pack, so the quality of the boxes is essential - moving companies will have the appropriate types of boxes for weight and size, they may be pricey but will save you money in the long run!! You can also consider a professional packing service - all done by the mover - treat yourself if you have a bit of spare money!!

2. When choosing a removals company - look for the British Association of Removers badge (BAR) members have a consumer code of practice that is both recognised and monitored by trading standards - take a look at my logo it is on there or visit www.bar.co.uk. Scratch beneath the surface too - ask them to come out and assess - this is essential - visit them, ask them if they have full time staff, do they pay them well, do they have zero hours contracts? Remember the better treated the staff are the better the service you will get - put yourselves in the operatives shoes - poor pay, poor terms of employment will invariably lead to poor service - there is no incentive for anything else!

3. Look for references - a good site to visit is www.referenceline.com also check out their Facebook page see what they are putting out regarding service offerings etc.

4. Talk to somebody who has used the mover, recommendations are always good, but do so in conjunction with your own research - it is quick and easy!

5. Insurance - be aware insurance companies are by their very nature risk averse - so set your expectations low! That said - get a good removal company in and you can feel more confident that the risk of damage is reduced! But any removal company may say they offer insurance but often it is fraught with terms and conditions that heavily restrict you. The BAR and Trading Standards have a minimum standard - but it is NOT new for old! In short if something is scratched or marked it will be repaired. If it is broken beyond repair lost or stolen (this is very rare amongst professional movers) then you will only receive settlement for the value at the time of loss. This is particularly relevent for electrical and other items of high depreciation. Again for more information visit insurance sites and look up "indemnity insurance".

I hope this information is useful and any questions, please feel free to ask!!

Thank you

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X