Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Structural Survey Question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Structural Survey Question

    Hello, I am a first time buyer and have found a fantastic 1930s first floor maisonette which, on first viewing seemed to be a great investment. The previous owner was an elderly woman who had been tenant for over 20 years and, seems not to have made any major changes, however, on pulling back some of the wall paper, I am finding significant cracks, which even from an untrained eye, look quite serious. I am sure this means that there are some structural problems (possibly with the foundations) and I have arranged for a surveyor to carry out a full structural survey. However, I am concerned that even this type of survey will not provide all the answers that I am looking for. For example, I would not have noticed these major cracks had I not done some investigating (ie. pulling back the wall paper), and want to be sure that a full building survey will be able to give me a comprehensive status of the structural integrity of the property even if there are some significant cracks hiding under wall paper elsewhere in the property. What assurances can I expect from a structural survey, if any?

    NOTE: I am very comfortable with walking away from a property if there are significant structural issues that require attention (minor ones I can handle) but even with a positive survey result, I want to be sure that if I moved forward with the purchase, I won't have serious issues 5 or 10 years down the line because some of the key indicators weren't visible at the time...

  • #2
    Hi there,

    We've got a breakdown here on what a structural/building survey covers, so you can see how in depth it is.

    Your surveyor may also advise you to talk to specialists in certain areas if they can't be certain about particular elements - they may suggest speaking to a structural engineer, for example. Explain your concerns and what you've noticed and I'm sure your surveyor will be able to help.

    Best of luck with the property!
    Discover what a Building Survey, or Structural Survey, is with our detailed guide at reallymoving.com. For more advice and information, visit us online.