Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Utility & Plumbing Inspection

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Utility & Plumbing Inspection


    As a first time buyer, I received my survey and Home Buyers Report from my solicitor in the post on Saturday.

    In the outline letter, my solicitors recommend I get an engineer or specialist to inspect and ensure all utilities, plumbing, electrical wiring and appliances are in working order.

    Currently I'm unsure who to contact to conduct these inspections. Not sure if to call utility providers to ask about this.

    I'll be moving to Burnham (near Slough).

    Looking forward to your answers.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Congrats on starting the process! I'm a little confused that you received your survey from your solicitor, as this would normally be done directly with a surveyor? It's worth checking the report for any specific issues with the property, as these recommendations can often be simply covering all aspects, rather than a suggestion that there is a particular issue with those areas of the property. (A HomeBuyer's Report, being one of the more basic surveys, does not cover plumbing, electrics etc).

    I don't see why you would need to know the appliances are in working order, as they usually wouldn't be included in the property?

    I would suggest chatting directly with your Chartered Surveyor, who may be able to direct you to specialists if you do need them, but have a look through the report and see if any possible plumbing/electrics issues are mentioned, otherwise it may just be a standard recommendation to all who get a HomeBuyer's Report.

    Hope that helps!


    • #3
      It is better to check for the issues with the property before buying it. One should call the specialist to inspect and ensure all utilities, plumbing, electrical wiring and appliances. My friend just purchased a new house and he ensured every single detail about the house before buying it. He hired electrical contractors to do all the electrical work of the house. There was a problem with the generator so he contacted the generator repair service NJ to do the generator repair work. He also ensured that the drain and sewer is proper so that later he does not face any issue.


      • #4
        Thanks for the response guys.

        I totally made a mistake in my post (i was totally confused as i was told two different things). The documents I received were search reports, leasehold information, plans and forms about the property.

        As an update, I've had a second visit and the plumbing looks fine. The property information form stated an electrical test was done this year but there was no certificate attached (which my solicitor is chasing).

        I'll be booking a homebuyers report survey soon.


        • #5

          I highly recommend London Bath Co for any bathroom/plumbing related things! https://www.thelondonbathco.co.uk